Each student at Mission Heights Junior College has a Learning Advisor. This teacher, usually from their whanau, meets with each student individually to assess their progress and set goals based on evidence of their learning.
Our school timetable includes a daily extension and enrichment ‘DEEP’ learning session; Discovery, Essentials, Enrichment and Passions.
Students, with their advisor, create a personalised DEEP programme according to their needs, interests and passions. Our DEEP session also allows for;
- Enrichment in new curriculum areas or in areas of existing strength
- Preparation for academic competitions
- Sessions for students who are finding an aspect of the curriculum challenging
- Opportunities to extend and enrich able students
- An induction to MHJC life for students arriving during the course of the year
Where students are identified as having a specific need in numeracy, literacy or ESOL, they are directed to an Essential DEEP option to address this need.